HIring: Volunteer / Adult Programs Coordinator
About The Boise Bicycle Project
Our Mission: Boise Bicycle Project (BBP) is a community-oriented cooperative that promotes the personal, social and environmental benefits of bicycling. We function as a bicycle recycling center as well as an educational workspace in a diverse and non-threatening atmosphere. Through education and access to inexpensive bicycles we strive to build a stronger bicycling community.
Our Vision: We believe Boise has the potential to become the "Bicycling Capital of America." We envision a community where everyone, regardless of income, can enjoy all of the empowering benefits of bicycling. We are doing our darnedest to help Boise reach that potential every day.
Our Volunteer Program
BBP’s charitable programs are made possible by the hard work of our incredible volunteers. From preparing kids bikes for donation, to refurbishing adult bikes for programs, to planning events, to assisting with administrative duties, BBP’s volunteers have a huge impact on BBP’s Mission. We take pride in creating an environment where volunteers from all walks of life can gain knowledge, share skills, and create passionate purposeful impact in the community.
BBP is hiring a new Volunteer / Adult Program Coordinator to grow, diversify, and foster a dynamic volunteer program. We are looking for someone who will engage and inspire volunteers to reach new levels of impact within the organization. The Volunteer Coordinator needs to have a passion for people, and a deep understanding of the empowering benefits bicycling can create. An effective Volunteer Coordinator will create rewarding and purposeful opportunities for the community to create impact through BBP, while working with the rest of BBP’s staff to serve its mission.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work/teach/empower a diverse population
- A passion and history in using bicycles as a tool for transportation, connection, and empowerment
- Basic to advanced bicycle mechanical skills a definite plus
- Proven ability to think creatively and initiate effective outside the box ideas/programs
- Must be able to thrive in a team centered environment
- Professional or volunteer experience in the nonprofit sector required
- Passion and understanding for underserved populations
- Must like kids and dogs.
- Create empowering opportunities for new and existing volunteers to make Boise a better place to bicycle
- Maintain and develop existing volunteer opportunities
- Continually recruit effective, diverse, and dynamic volunteers
- Provide clear and consistent opportunities for volunteers to take on larger/leadership roles
- Prepare jobs and tasks for daily volunteer activities
- Develop innovative and sustainable training tactics to maximize volunteer efforts
- Acknowledge and validate the hard work of volunteers
Program / Organizational Enhancement
- Work with the Executive Director, Shop Manager, and other staff to provide volunteers and resources for daily needs of the organization
- Direct Work-Trade Programs (develop 3 beneficial and educational tasks for work traders)
- Work with the Youth Coordinator to facilitate volunteer needs for the annual Christmas Kids Bike Giveaway and other charitable events/programs
- Work with the Development Director to provide volunteers for outreach events
- Schedule regular, consistent, and ongoing volunteer opportunities for programs and events
- Maintain adult voucher bike programs
- Seek and attend educational opportunities to enhance job skills
Outreach and Reporting
- Maintain a record keeping program and volunteer contact list
- Create and distribute effective and educational materials to current and potential volunteers
- Complete monthly Volunteer Report in Free Spirit newsletter (Due at the end of each month)
- Submit an annual volunteer report covering total amounts of volunteer activities, hours and attendance, review of volunteer programs, and plans for future development. (Due 1st week Jan.)
- Attend quarterly board meetings with reports for the board
- Develop and maintain relationships with other volunteer organizations within the area
$28,000-$31,000 Starting salary, based on a 40 hour workweek. Benefits include Health Insurance, Commuter Support Program, Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, and Retirement.
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter (in your cover letter, please address how you identify with BBP’s mission statement), a list of 3 past volunteer experiences ,and three work related references with contact info to email@example.com. Position open until filled; applications received by Jan 14th will receive priority consideration.