Bicycle Mechanic / Bike Builder - Full and Part time available
The Boise Bicycle Project (BBP) is a non-profit bicycle cooperative that creates opportunities for empowerment, education, and social change through bicycles and bicycle repair. As a nonprofit, we repair bicycles donated from the community, and redistribute them through our charitable programs and affordable bike sales. As a cooperative, we teach the community how to repair their own bicycles in our shared use shop space. Our charitable programs seek to make bicycles, and bicycle repair/safety education available to the entire community regardless of income.
BBP's many charitable programs are made possible by its community oriented shop operations. BBP's mechanics work on a variety of bikes from the early 1930's to modern full carbon race bikes. Mostly we focus on steel bikes from the 90s that make quality, affordable commuters and community connectors.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a clean work environment for customers as well as other mechanics
- Refurbish used bikes in a timely manner so that they can then be purchased
- Educate customers on how to properly maintain their bikes
- Examine parts donated to ensure quality products that will be on the floor for sale
- Organize parts room
- Help customers pick out the right bike for what they intend to use the bike for
Qualifications needed to do the job successfully
- Excellent mechanical skills (minimum one year of hands-on, professional shop experience working with a variety of bicycles and/or a professional certification)
- Experience in service writing
- The ability to problem solve with bikes and find solutions
- The ability to work with a wide variety of clientele
- Excellent people skills that will enable you to work with a wide variety of clientele
- Outstanding communication skills
- The ability to think creatively and keen problem-solving skills
- Good organizational skills
- Multitasking in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Weekend availability (Either Saturday or Sunday) is a must
Starting pay is $11-12/hour with opportunity to grow (hours and wages).
Applying for the position:
Please email the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop them by the Boise Bicycle Project (1027 S Lusk St.) during our open shop hours
- Please include a resume or stop by BBP to pick up an application
- Include a couple paragraphs stating how you have been a part of BBP or your familiarization with the organization, as well as why you feel you would be a good candidate for the BBP staff.
Mechanics are at the shop 7 days a week, so please include what days you are available to work.