The 10th Annual Christmas Kids BikeGiveaway
We’re just 17 earthly revolutions from our favorite day of the year… the annual Christmas Kids Bike Giveaway… and this is an especially big one because... it's year freaking 10!
Dec 17th will complete a decade of donate bikes and a milestone of massive community impact. 10 years! I'm not sure if that reality has set in yet. It's hard to believe that with the 400 kids coming down on the 17th, we’ll cross over the 4,500 mark for total bicycles donated to kids. It's hard to believe that a child we donated a bicycle to in 2nd grade will graduating from Borah High School this year. It's hard to believe we have a kid that has received 4 bicycles from BBP since 2007, and those bicycles are still being passed down through his younger sisters and brothers. That gives me goose bumps, makes me smile, and makes me proud.
Perhaps you’ve heard me say it before, but for these kids, it’s so much more than a bicycle. It’s freedom, it’s independence, it’s the connection it creates to opportunities in our community. For many of these kids, it is their very first bike but not their last, and I feel so incredibly lucky to be part of giving that gift. If you’ve been there for any of the past 9 giveaways, then you know exactly how I feel.
A few folks have mentioned concerns about how construction will affect the Giveaway. It won't. With the help of ACHD and the City of Boise, we're shutting down the street in front of the building and popping up tents. We have three 20x20s with walls and heaters reserved already, but could use more popup tents and propane space heaters if you have them. If you could drop them off on the 16th or earlier in the week, that would be spectacular.
There are a lot of things you can do to support BBP now, next year, and beyond. In fact there are some gems later in the newsletter, but first I want you to do something for yourself. Be part of this life changing day. Make this the one thing you create time for this holiday season. Invite your friends and family to share the experience. Your time, effort, and generosity is an investment in yourself and your community with a return too big to be measured. The impact and memories created will be as tangible as the dream bikes going out the door.
So please, be part of this life changing experience. Take part in one or more of the items below.
- Help us prepare by volunteering before Dec 17th. Sign up for a shift here.
- Volunteer during the Christmas Kids Bike Giveaway. 100 of jobs now available here.
- Donate used bicycles and parts. Any shape size or condition. Spread the word here.
- Adopt-a-Kids Bike for $50. Give the gift of a “dream bike” to a child in our community!
- Share the impact. Share the Experience. Invite someone you care about join you with any of the items above.
-Jimmy Hallyburton, Executive Director of BBP
Know A Kid Who Needs a Bike...
Registration for the Christmas Kids Bike Giveaway is open until December 6th. Please email Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP, and he will send you a registration from. Almost every school and nonprofit organization in the valley has access to the registration so you can reach out them as well.
The week of the Kids Bike Giveaway, we’ll also be hosting our annual progressive holiday bike sale! On December 14th, 15th, and 16th, used bikes and parts will be 15%, 25%, and 50% off, respectively. It’s the perfect time to find a new cold-weather commuter or parts for your winter bike project. "We're practically giving stuff away!"
On the 14th and 15th (first two days of the holiday bike sale), you’ll be able to apply your Alley Cat or Century Ride Membership to our sale prices to receive an extra 10% or 15% off.
We're kicking off our Member drive for the month of December- we want to sign up 100 new (or renewed) Members this month! If you've ever thought of becoming a Member, or are considering renewing or upgrading your membership, December is the month to do it. Why? Because our soon to be completed super shop will have 2000 extra sq.ft.! Yep, BBP will be better than ever, with more space and resources for you to build the bike of your dreams or fine tune the one you already have.
Every December Membership includes
- $5 Gift Certificate (double that gift certificate by proclaiming that you're a BBP Member on Social Media
- Limited edition BBP bandana
- BBP patch
- BBP Member keychain
- Patch Kit
- BBP Holiday Raffle Ticket
- Unlimited shop time, access to BBP tools and the knowledge of our amazing mechanics
We'll be drawing a raffle every every week for some sweet BBP swag (hoodies, t-shirts, gift certificates, friend-berships, and super secret surprise items). If you're already a Member and you know you'll want to renew sometime in 2017-you can renew now and we'll tack it on when your membership expires. BBP Memberships make the perfect gift too!
To pick up yours or to buy one as a gift, just swing in the shop or...
DECEMBER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Despite the cold, we’re staying warm at the shop with some energetic bike building. With only a couple of weeks until our monumental Christmas Kids Bike Giveaway, the shop is busy getting bikes from 12” to 26” ready for every kid 2-11 that needs a bike. We’re about halfway to our goal of 400 bikes. With 175 bikes left to build, we need to build 11 bikes per day to be ready for December 17th’s festivities. That means we need your help to make sure this year’s Giveaway is bigger than ever! Sign up for a daytime shift or come down during Tuesday and Thursday night Volunteer Nights (yes, Tuesdays are back) to help build a bike for Christmas. If you’re a home mechanic, you can take a bike home, repair it, and bring it back before December 17th as part of our Fix-a-Bike program.
Walk-in Volunteer Nights every Tuesday and Thursday 6-8pm (No Orientation Needed)
Christmas Kid Bike Giveaway Shifts (No Orientation Needed)
Things are moving right along behind the building. Demolition is 100% complete, the foundation and footings have been poured, and the cement floor is curing as we speak. Next week we will start going vertical. We're still hoping for a January "completion" date. "Completion" meaning that's when our volunteers go to work, applying the finishing touches, incorporating bicycle parts into functional design, completing the walls with reclaimed materials... and that's when we'll bring in help from the art community to really make this place "pop!"
The heat will be off for another 2 weeks, and the running water (bathrooms) will not be available for awhile. Hang in there! It will be warm, our hands will be clean, and our bladders back to normal in no time.
Dec 9th Light Up the Night Ride
The days are getting shorter, nights are getting longer, which means it's time to light up the night! Deck your bike with bows of lights- blinking, color changing, whatever you got- go all out for this one!
We'll meet at BBP at 6:00pm and cruise downtown to show off our parade of lighted bikes. Our destination is Chipotle Mexican Grill, where 50% of food and beverage proceeds benefit BBP, when you mention BBP at the counter! Fuel up with burritos and queso for the ride home. If you can't meet us at BBP, swing by Chipotle anytime 5-9pm and make sure you mention BBP at the counter.
Prizes for most decked out bike, Free Light Up the Night Buttons, Raffles, and More...
For more information, Check out the Facebook Event page!
10 Ways TO Make a Christmas Kids Bike DIFFERENCE
1. DONATE USED BIKES: We'll take any shape size and condition, but are in extra need of 16" boys and girls bikes. This is the by far the biggest need right now.
2. HELP US FIX BIKES: As soon as a bicycle is donated, our staff and volunteers start wrenching on it. When it's finished, another kid from the waiting list is signed up. Sign up for a shift today or swing by any Tuesday and Thursday 6-8pm.
3. HELP US ANSWER PHONES & CALL FAMILIES: Our phones are ringing off the hook with families wanting to sign their kids up for the waiting list. We can give you the script and help with any questions you can't answer. We also need people who can call families and give them a reminder for pick up time. You can even do this from home. Sign up for a Shop/Registration Assistant Shift or Email Anne@boisebicycleproject.org if you're interested.
4. HELP US PICK UP BIKES: We're getting phone calls and emails non stop from people who want to donate bicycles, but can't get them down here. If you've got a truck, trailer or a vehicle that can fit 4 or more bikes, please let Anne@boisebicycleproject.org know that you can help.
5. BAKE SOME COOKIES or BRING HEALTHY SNACKS: Many of these kids come from rough situations and we want to give these kids a great holiday experience along with their bike. Cookies, snacks, and actual "real food" can create some pretty big smiles during the giveaway. Sign up for snack shift and bring them down on Friday Dec 16th or 8:00am on Dec 17th. Our hard working volunteers love them too during Volunteer Nights (Tues & Thurs 6-8pm) and we have sign up shifts for those too, or just surprise us!
6. VOLUNTEER DURING THE BIG GIVEAWAY DEC 17TH: With close to 400 families coming down, there will be plenty to do. We need escorts to take the kids through all the stations, help fitting helmets, people who can hand out snacks, bike size adjusters, bike runners, and more. There's plenty to do. You can sign up for a shift here, or just swing by and we'll put you to work.
7. ADOPT A BICYCLE: It costs BBP $50 to donate 1 bicycle to a child in need. This costs includes a new light, lock, helmet, and all of the materials and supplies needed to refurbish the bicycle. You can Adopt-a-Kid/Bicycle this year with a donation of $50. We'll send you the dream bike drawing created by the child immediately, and a picture of the excited new owner and their bike during the Giveaway. You can even help give it away on Dec 17th if you want. You can Adopt-a-bike here http://www.boisebicycleproject.org/adopt-a-kids-bike/
8. DO YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING AT BBP: We have over 30 adult bikes for sale from $100-$500 and an endless supply of parts and gadgets. On Dec 14th, the progressive sale begins (15% off Wednesday, 25% off Thursday, 50 freaking % off Friday. Why? Because we need to get rid of as much inventory as possible to make room for all of the families coming down on Dec 17th.
9. BECOME A BBP MEMBER: Proceeds from membership sales keep the shop doors open and pay for all of the tools and supplies needed to fix 400 bicycles. A BBP Membership is the stocking stuffer that keeps giving all year long and comes with some fun holiday bonus items. Memberships start at $50 for students, $60 for non-students, and $120 for families. Purchase at BBP, or online. http://www.boisebicycleproject.org/membership-program/
10. SHARE THE IMPACT: BBP is very lucky to have so much support from you and the community. Every success we've ever had is because of your dedication. So share your love. Invite your friends, families, coworkers... to be part of this life changing experience.