10 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Christmas is on December 17th at the Boise Bicycle Project. 100s of kids will be coming down to pick up their dream bikes, and we need your help.
Here are 10 things you can do to make a difference:
- DONATE USED BIKES: We'll take any shape size and condition, but are in extra need of 16" boys and girls bikes. This is the by far the biggest need right now.
- HELP US FIX BIKES: As soon as a bicycle is donated, our staff and volunteers start wrenching on it. When it's finished, another kid from the waiting list is signed up. If you know basic bike repair skills come on down anytime and we'll put you to work (Wed-Sunday after 11am is best. Tuesday and Thursday 6-8pm)
- HELP US ANSWER PHONES & CALL FAMILIES: Our phones are ringing off the hook with families wanting to sign their kids up for the waiting list. We can give you the script and help with any questions you can't answer. We also need people who can call families and give them a reminder for pick up time. You can even do this from home. Email email@example.com if you're interested.
- HELP US CLEAN BIKES: No bike repair skills needed here, just the ability to scrub and polish. All of these bikes are refurbished, but with a rag and some polish, we can get them looking as good as new. This makes a big difference!
- BAKE SOME COOKIES: Many of these kids come from rough situations and we want to give these kids a great holiday experience along with their bike. Cookies, snacks, and holiday treats create some pretty big smiles during the giveaway. Bring them down on Friday Dec 18th or 9:30am on Dec 19th. Our hard working volunteers love them too during Volunteer Nights (Tues. & Thurs. 6-8pm).
- VOLUNTEER DURING THE BIG GIVEAWAY DEC 19TH: With 350 families coming down, there will be plenty to do. We need escorts to take the kids through all the stations, help fitting helmets, people who can hand out snacks, bike size adjusters, bike runners, and more. There's plenty to do. You can sign up for a shift HERE, or just swing by and we'll put you to work.
- ADOPT A BICYCLE: It costs BBP $50 to donate 1 bicycle to a child in need. This costs includes a new light, lock, helmet, and all of the materials and supplies needed to refurbish the bicycle. You can Adopt-a-Kid/Bicycle this year with a donation of $50. We'll send you the dream bike drawing created by the child immediately, a picture of the bicycle once we've selected it, and a picture of excited new owner during the Giveaway. You can even help give it away on Dec 19th if you want. You can Adopt-a-bike HERE.
- DO YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING AT BBP: We have over 30 adult bikes for sale from $100-$500 and an endless supply of parts and gadgets. Right now they're an extra 15% off, next Thursday they're 25% off, and next Friday they're 50% off. Why? Because we need to get rid of as much inventory as possible to make room for all of the families coming down on Dec 19th. Don't live in town? Get BBP Gear online!
- BECOME A BBP MEMBER: Proceeds from membership sales cover all the cost of the BBP building. They make a great Christmas Gift and Stocking Stuffer, plus the gift keeps giving all year long with unlimited shop time and free repair classes. Memberships start at $50 for students, $60 for non-students, and $120 for families. Purchase at BBP, or online HERE.
- SHARE THE IMPACT: BBP is very lucky to have so much support from you and the community. Every success we've ever had is because of your dedication. So share your love. Invite your friends down. Give them a tour. Make a volunteer date. Allow them to be part of the grassroots impact that you've made possible.
Happy Holidays! Thank you for all that you do! Thank you for believing!